Monday, October 24, 2011

Joe Walsh's Esquire

I met Joe Walsh working as guitar tech for him. He flew in to do Ray Wylie Hubbard's Grit and Groove fest and I helped get the guitar related gear in order. At the end of that week Joe Asked me to buid him an Esquire with a P-90 instead of the standard Fender style pickup. We talked and ended up using a vintage Dearmond pickup instead. He liked it enough to use it for photos promoting his current tour. Here are some photos of the results

This is the Callaham bridge I hacked to make room for the Dearmond Pickup. It was designed to be a soundhole acoustic guitar pickup. It is very shallow and requires no routing of the body.



I chose a highly flamed piece of maple for the neck. It is reinforced with carbon fiber truss rods.





It ended up looking like this. I front mounted the controls and made a thin pickguard from phenolic resin, it looks like bakelite.








The back has a control cover, recessed string ferrules and a thick stainless steel neck-plate.









No comments:

Post a Comment